We made this yummie tomato soup after returning home from a bike trip through the city on a sunny but crisp autumn day. After having a big lunch in the afternoon hours, all we needed was something warming but light on the belly. The roasted flavor of the oven-baked tomatoes combined with the fried bread has a very special and intense taste which is worth the tomato baking time of 1 h!
…and if the fried bread is too oily for you, you can easily replace it with carrot pieces which you simply bake with the tomatoes in the oven.
Try to get fresh herbs!!
Make more than you need and keep in the freezer for busy times
- 1 kg ripe tomatoes
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 750 ml vegetable stock (you can easily make it yourselve as you got 1 h time : boil 1 liter of water with carrots, spring onions, celery and herbs)
- 1 Tbs fresh thyme
- 1 Tbs sweet paprika powder
- 1 or 2 slices of rye bread
- 1 Tbs chopped fresh basil
- Salt and black pepper
1. Heat oven 170 degrees.
2. Cut the tomatoes in 3mm wide slices and place them on one or two oven trays. Season with the thyme, salt, pepper and olive oil. Bake for 1 h. After half the baking time add the whole garlic cloves with peel.
3. Fill the baked tomatoes in a pot and add the peeled garlic. Also add the paprika powder and the stock. Heat until it cooks.
4. Add more salt if needed and/or add more stock if needed and shortly puree with a magic stick.
5. Cut the bread in pieces and fry in a lot of olive oil until the pieces get brown. Serve with the chopped basil as the topping for the soup.